The Irish Architecture Foundation (IAF) are hosting a walking tour that will retrace the streets and spaces studied by the Reimagine Dublin One team as an opportunity to discuss other ways to address the area’s challenges.
Dublin City Architects invited the American Institute of Architects (AIA) to share their inspirational Design Assistance Programme and help run a pilot project with a Dublin community. This was back in 2015. Since then, City Architects developed a bespoke website (http://designframework.ie/), found a community partner (Dublin Town) and, working with the AIA and local design practitioners, progressing the pilot in Dublin’s north city centre. Called Reimagine Dublin One, the pilot is set in the busy retail and residential district defined by Capel St, Parnell St, O’Connell St and the North Quays.
A key milestone was the public workshop held in March 2017 and the resulting Reimagine Dublin One report and design recommendations. This report reflects issues identified by the public, policy makers, community and business leaders who collaborated in the process and offers a vision for collective action. Recommendations range from short, medium and long term interventions including:
- Starting small, by inserting parklets along busy streets and redundant spaces to strengthen the public realm.
- Focusing on enlivening alleys and laneways with low cost design interventions, particularly those connecting to the river.
- Making Wolfe Tone Park a great public space, and invest in animating the space and making it more welcoming.
- Looking to the Fruit and Vegetable Market potential for incubating entrepreneurs and making Little Mary Street a destination, as well as serving as a bridge to Smithfield.
- Developing a strategy to humanise Henry Street and create a civic ‘living room’ through a series of place-making strategies.
- Creating a dedicated implementation vehicle on the basis that ‘special places need special treatment’.
- The reaction to the pilot project has been overwhelmingly positive. The challenge now is to deliver on the project objectives and reimagine Dublin One so that it regains its status as one of Dublin’s premier residential and retail urban quarters, while retaining its unique character and authentic experience.
The Reimagine Dublin One report can be accessed here.
The tour will meet outside the IAF HQ on 15 Bachelors Walk at 11.30am. IAF Members receive priority booking by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.