The Chamber of Architects of Turkey Antalya Branch has launched the 12th International Young Architects’ Award and Exhibition with the support of the International Union of Architects (UIA). This year’s edition of the Young Architects’ Award and Exhibition asks participants to examine the conceptual question of ‘solid-void relations, … a universal problem of architectural design in the context of rapid urbanization throughout the globe.’ Young architects will explore how ‘the concentration on closed spaces and masses affects the idea of void in the historical memory of architecture?’
Participants are requested to select a particular context for developing design ideas concerning ‘the interpretation of the urban void for street library’ while keeping in mind the concept of void. Focusing on contemporary evolutions of the library, architects will investigate the implications of the traditional building type ‘in our age where the ways of reading and acquiring knowledge are transforming rapidly.’ The objective of the competition is to discuss ‘constructive ideas of library along with the interpretation of urban void.’
The annual single stage ideas awards programme is open to young architects worldwide and is conducted in accordance with the UIA-UNESCO regulations.
Participants must be qualified architects registered with the national association of architects in their own country and born after 1977. Teams are welcome, and each team member must also fulfill the aforementioned conditions. Participation is free of charge. The official languages of the competition are Turkish and English.
Jury Chairman: Jean Nouvel; the 2008 Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate
Executive Jury Chairman: Cui Kai, UIA Representative; Academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering; Chinese Architecture Design Master
Zhuang Weimin, Dean of School of Architecture, Tsinghua University.
Li Zhenyu, Dean of the College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Tongji University Han Dongqing, Dean of School of Architecture, Southeast University Zhang Qi, Dean of School of Architecture, Tianjin University.
Sun Yimin, Dean of School of Architecture, South China University of Technology Qi Xin, Chief Architect of Qixin Architects and Engineers Peng Lixiao, Chief Editor of Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine; Guest Professor of the School of Architecture, Tianjin University Gong Jun, Executive Director; General Manager and Design Director of HYP-ARCH Architectural Design Consultant CO., LTD.
Chairman: Kong Yuhang, Deputy Dean of the School of Architecture, Tianjin University
Registration Begins: January 16, 2017
Registration Deadline: July 31, 2017
Submission Deadline: August 31, 2017
Jury Convenes: September 2017
Result Announced: September 2017
Funda Alyanak Kaya – Msc. Architect
Serçin Üreğen – Architect
Sadık Gökhan Ekinci – Msc. Architect
Mehmet Keskin – Architect
Özge Cevahir – Architect
First Prize: €2500
Second Prize: €1500
Third Prize: €1000
Participant award: €1500
Honorable Mentions (20 teams) Certificate and 6-month free subscription of UED magazine; Advisors of prize-winning projects will also be awarded with certificates; Prize winners will have an opportunity to intern at prestigious architectural firms through the ‘Learning Design with Master Architects’ programme.
1. This is a fair competition open to all architecture students around the globe. Full-time on-campus architecture students from accredited institutions (including graduate students and PhD candidates) can participate alone or as a team with team members of no more than four people and advisors of no more than two.
2. Only the team leader will be contacted when necessary if students participate as a team.
3. Log on http://hypcup2017.uedmagazine.
4. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the submission deadline. The organizing committee accepts no printed version. Entries will be printed and exhibited together in due time.
5. With the assistance of the committee, the jury will meet and decide the winners.
6. The committee will announce the winners in September 2017. In December 2017, the winning entries will be exhibited and there will be a prize-awarding ceremony early next year.
7. Inquiries related to the competition will be responded to via e-mail: email@example.com.
1. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘competition’ in the e-mail subject line. Entries will be printed and laid out by the committee.
2. Language: English
3. Scale and dimensions must be in metric units.
4. Documents: Recognizable scanned copy of passport and student card should be attached in the e-mail. Students themselves are responsible for the authenticity of the documents.
5. Entry Requirements
a. Specification: The layout of the 841mm x 594mm drawing should be horizontal. Each work should be composed of 3 drawings.
b. Content: Site-plan that can fully express the design intention; plans, elevations and sections; perspective drawing, illustration and a design description of about 500 words (to be integrated in the pictures and drawings). There is no limitation on proportion.
c. A TXT document must be attached in the e-mails of the submission, which include participants’ name, registration number, e-mail address, mobile phone number, name and contact information of the advisor (if any), the full name of the school and department, title and brief introduction of the submitted work.
For further information contact:
Official Site: http://hypcup2017.uedmagazine.